The Kennicott copper mine was one of the largest in Alaska. It was established in 1908 across from what is now known as the Root Glacier. From 1908 until it closed in 1938, almost $200 million in copper ore was taken from the mine. The company town of Kennicott housed the minors. It was dry, but nearby McCarthy was not, featuring restaurants, saloons and a red light district.